Given that the role and functions of the Tourism Sector Sub-Committee (TSSC) of CDMEA and the Sustainable Tourism Technical Committee (STTC) of CTO are to provide technical guidance and input in work programming to promote sustainable development for the tourism sector, and given that there is overlap in membership of the two committees (TSSC and STTC), the Tourism Sector Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Management Sub-Committee is being established to rationalize membership and establish a Sub-Committee of the STTC that focuses specifically on issues and challenges pertaining to CCA and DRM. This is in keeping with the Enhanced CDM strategy 2010-2012.
The functions of the Tourism Sector CCA and DRM Sub-Committee are:
- To provide overall guidance on the mainstreaming of CCA and DRM in the tourism sector level at the national and regional levels.
- To facilitate coordination and harmonization of CCA and DRM initiatives within the tourism sector
- To articulate priority results for the sector, particularly as it related to CCA and DRM integration
- Provide technical input to harmonize sector work programmes towards the achievement of the prioritized results agreed to.
- Agree on and utilize a mechanism for monitoring, evaluating and reporting on progress for the sector
- Report on progress towards the achievement of results identified in the mainstreaming of CCA and DRM at the sector level.
- Identify challenges and gaps regarding the implementation of CCA and DRM at the sector level.
- Discuss and address any other issue(s) pertinent to the good governance and sustainability of CCA and DRM implementation at the sector level.
- Identify opportunities for inter and intra sectoral linkages to avoid duplication of work and ensure efforts are complimentary.
- Nurture opportunities for synergies between development partner representatives, participating states, private sector, civil society and other relevant stakeholders responsible to promote sustainable development in the sector.
The Tourism Sector CCA and DRM Sub-Committee comprise key specialized sector agencies and technical representatives from CTO and CDEMA member countries. Specifically, the Tourism Sector CCA and DRM Sub-Committee shall comprise the following members:
- Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO), (Chair)
- CDEMA CU Representative
- Association of Caribbean States (ACS)
- Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA)
- Organization of American States (OAS)
- University of the West Indies (UWI)
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRCS)
- The United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (UNECLAC)
- The Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility (CCRIF)
- Technical Representative from The Bahamas
- Technical Representative from Non-English Speaking State (TBC)